Firefox problem solved

I’ve been having a problem on one of my work stations with Firefox. When I clicked a link to a text file rather than display the file in Firefox it would only let me download it or view it in an external application. I figured I had screwed up a setting somewhere but hadn’t been able to figure out what I hosed. Well I finally found out where to fix the problem that I had created somehow via the Firefox options interfaces. Since I’ll likely screw this up again at some point and/or someone else might be looking for the solution so, here it is:

Locate the mimeTypes.rdf file for your profile, mine was at: X:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles570j6lt0.defaultmimeTypes.rdf

Open the file in a text editor and delete the following lines.

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-download"
NC:description="Text Document"
<NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-download"/>

Now Firefox displays text files again for me. 🙂